Thursday, March 29, 2012

Author, Author Thursday March 29th

...read all about it!!


Thanks for joining us and please welcome a very talented  author,


Melissa Keir 


 
Welcome Melissa, it's great to have you here today.  Can you start off by telling us a little about yourself…

My life is like the Brady Bunch but without Alice.  We are a blended family with four children. Born and raised in a rural town in Ohio, everyone knew who I was growing up.  If I got a speeding ticket, you can be assured that my parents heard about it before I arrived home. Thinking to escape the horrors of small town living, I moved to Michigan and ended up in an even smaller town. We have only one light in town. 
I’ve worked as a blogger, book reviewer, teacher, and editor over the last twenty years.  Writing has always been a passion of mine and one that I’m glad that I can satisfy today.

What or who initially inspired you to become a writer?

My mom was my first inspiration.  When I was younger, she wrote a romance novel and tried to get it published.  There wasn’t such a thing as e-publishing or computers, and I remember her writing her story on the old typewriter in our family room. Her dedication and drive to get published was a part of the reason why I wanted to write.  It allows me to be close to her.

What kind of research do you do for a novel and how extensive do you get?

When I need to, I enjoy doing extensive research.  I take a look at every piece of information that I can find on the subject.  When I was working on my story, Forever Love, I researched Alzheimer’s.  I wanted my character to be realistic and it required me to really understand the disease.

Do you have a special place you like to do your writing? Such as an office, a spare room, the dining room table, your couch?

 I love to write at the kitchen table or kitchen island.  It allows me to be a part of the action, close to the food and drinks, and still be relaxed.  I have written my stories on my couch curled up with the dogs and a blanket or in bed as my husband sleeps next to me.  When the muse comes, I have to write.

As a reader, what types of works do you like to read and do you think they influence the genre/genres you write in?

My favorite genres to read are paranormal romance.  I love shape shifters, magic, and kick-butt characters.  However, I haven’t written in that genre yet.  Never say never! 

What is your favorite method of writing...as in laptop, desktop, Ipad or the old fashioned pencil and paper?? And do you plot out your story or go with the flow of your muse?

 I MUST have my computer.  It goes where I go, the doctor’s office, my honeymoon, or bed.  It is the only way that I write.  It gives me a safe way to write and save my ideas.  I don’t plot out my ideas, although I do write down plot bunnies when they come to me.  Otherwise I wouldn’t remember them.  But I do write with the flow of my muse.  Some days it flows like water from the faucet while other days it is a mere trickle.

When you need a break or some time off from the trials of being a writer, what can you be found doing?

When I need a break from writing, I can be found reading and reviewing books, or working as an editor.  I am always busy.  There isn’t a part of my life that isn’t centered around books.  They are my passion and my escape from the real world.

Is there anything about yourself nobody knows that you would like to share with our readers??

My two dogs are named after characters from some of my favorite TV shows, CSI and CSI:Miami.  They are like my little babies and I spoil them rotten!

Where can our readers find you??
I love to hear from readers and frequently post excerpts, blogs and musings on life on my website.

Is there an upcoming or current release you would like to share with us today and where can we find it?


My first story “Forever Love” was released on Valentine’s Day and is a part of the Love, Again Anthology by Ruby Lioness Press. It can be purchased in e-book formats from Amazon or B&N.  It can be purchased in print from the Ruby Lioness store (www.rubylionesspress.com/store/).
Forever Love (Blurb)
When Syndie Wilder returns to Amherst, Ohio, she comes back to take care of her ailing father and doesn’t expect to run into the childhood friend who dumped her in high school. When fate causes the two to meet, sparks fly again. But will a childhood friendship turn into a forever love?




My upcoming release “Second Time’s the Charm” will be released on April 3rd from Rebel Ink Press.  It will be available on Amazon and B&N as well as other online retailers.
Second Time’s the Charm (unedited blurb)
When divorce shreds Lissa’s self-confidence, she gives up on men and throws herself into her sons.  An emergency life threatening illness of her best friend's son puts her on the path to romance. Lissa finds her new love in an unexpected way...introduced by his ex-wife. Who knew that first time loves could lead to second chances? 

Okay, now before we let you go today, we have a few fun questions for you if you don't mind?   
Your Favorite 5
1) Favorite color - green (like my eyes)
2) Favorite dessert - I don't have one.  I try not to eat dessert.
3) Favorite Season - Spring.  I love the way the Earth comes alive!
4) Favorite sad song- I usually don't have a favorite song.  I'm always changing my mind!
5) Favorite Romantic movie - I love Phantom of the Opera and Mama Mia.  They show that love is more than just passion.
And a bonus, what is your ideal romantic vacation??
My ideal romantic vacation is anywhere that I can spend the time with my husband, great weather and enjoy some time away from the daily worries.  :)

Melissa thank you so much for being with us today.  It was great getting to know more about you.  Please come back to visit us any time!

Readers, don't forget to get out there and scoop up these great reads by Melissa Keir. 

Happy reading,
Krista









No comments:

Post a Comment