Monday, July 9, 2012

Author, author...

...read all about it.

Please help me welcome..  



Jessica Lauryn    
Jessica, great to have you here with us today...Could you tell us a little about yourself?
Hi Krista!  Thanks so much for having me; I’m very excited to be featured on A Passion For Romance!  If there’s one thing I love even more than writing…it’s romance!  Romance is what inspires me, and it is my love of romance that drives me to write the stories I do. I’m in love with being in love and I want my readers to feel that way, too! If they’re not in love, I’m not delivering on my promise as a romance novelist. That is my personal guarantee…you WILL fall in love when you read my stories!

What or who initially inspired you to become a writer?

I’ve always loved to write, whether I was creating stories for a class project, or acting out self-written dramas with my dolls. But I believe it was my love for romance that actually inspired me to become a writer.

When I was young (about 6 years old) my mother and I used to watch Days of Our Lives together. I’d watch the way that romances built between the characters, how a certain tension existed between two characters, who, had strong feelings for one another but were in adamant denial about it. I saw how everything would build to the first time they kissed…and to each kiss afterward. I was fascinated by the process, so fascinated, that I ultimately decided I wanted to master the art of writing romance myself.  Now, I can finally say that I have J

What kind of research do you do for a novel and how extensive do you get?

Research is by no means my favorite part of writing, but I do what I have to, to make the story make sense.

(I greatly admire authors who write historical romance, because there is a great deal of research involved, as well as the art of mastering a historical voice. This is something I want to try myself at some point, but for now, I’m having way too much fun writing romantic suspense!)

As far as my own research goes, I do a lot of it on the internet, as I’ve found that a lot of what I need—street names, towns, landmarks—are all there. With regard to The Pinnacles of Power Series, I needed mainly to research two things, witchcraft, and diamond smuggling. I was able to find the majority of the information I needed online, and I took creative license where I could.
 
Do you have a special place you like to do your writing? Such as an office, a spare room, the dining room table, your couch?

I tend to write on the living room couch. It’s easy, comfortable, and I can spread out my notebooks, which serve as my bibles (plot outlines, editing notes). When the weather’s warm, I love to write outside, on a picnic blanket and, if I get the opportunity, someplace near the water. I find this is the most peaceful (and picturesque, and fun!) Of course, it can be difficult to see the computer screen when there’s sun glare, but some things are worth the sacrifice!

As a reader, what types of works do you like to read and do you think they influence the genre/genres you write in?

I love to read any sub-genre, so long as the primary genre is romance. But my favorite sub-genre tends to be historical. When I first began writing, I was told my contemporary romances had a historical sound, and I think to a certain extent this is still true. But, I have to write what bears true for me. And from what I’ve seen, authors of historical romance tend to create really dynamic characters that pop off the page. Historical heroes, in particular, really stand out. They’re strong, brave, and incredibly romantic, which is just how I want the heroes in my own stories to be. I’d like to think that if I have been influenced by what I read in any way, it’s that I too, write really dynamic characters that stay with you, the reader, long after the last page.

What is your favorite method of writing...as in laptop, desktop, Ipad or the old fashioned pencil and paper??  And do you plot out your story or go with the flow of your muse?

There was a time I was tempted to write an entire story out in long hand…and I did! But now that I finally have a laptop that’s as easy to hold as it is to carry, I write all of my stories, and save them, on my computer. As far as plotting goes, I still write everything out (first)in long hand, in a notebook. I’m the type of writer who needs to see the entire story plotted out before I can put one hand on the keyboard. That’s how I edit too, write down my changes, then, implement them later. This way, I have to think each change through twice, which makes me surer it’s actually the right change.

When you need a break or some time off from the trials of being a writer, what can you be found doing?

I’m big into antiquing, and I love to cruise through antique stores (or stores that sell antique replicas) looking for anything “Victorian.” I tend to gravitate toward jewelry, furniture, and any sort of knick-knacks that are girly and ultra feminine.

I still keep up with the soaps—Young and the Restless and Days of Our Lives are my favorites.  And my favorite outdoor sports are swimming, kayaking and tennis.

Is there anything about yourself nobody knows that you would like to share with our readers??

I started watching Jersey Shore last season.  *Blushes* I’m not really into reality TV but I watched a few scenes as I was flipping the channels and got hooked.  It’s not the New Jersey I know (not usually, anyway) but something about the show piqued my curiosity.

Not sure yet whether I’ll be tuning in next season…it’s fun, but watching takes me way outside of my writing zone… ;)

For fun, I have a few personal questions,
Your Favorite 5
1) Favorite color - Blue
2) Favorite dessert – Brownie Sundae…or Bread Pudding!
3) Favorite Season - Summer
4) Favorite sad song- Somebody That I Used to Know
5) Favorite Romantic movie - Titanic
And a bonus, what is your ideal romantic vacation??

I am still searching for my ideal romantic vacation (both as a writer and in real life!). But I came close to finding it when I was writing Dangerous Ally. The latter half of the book is set in Naples, Italy—a beautiful place I’m sure would double as an ideal romantic vacation.

Where can our readers find you?? 
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/#!/JessicaLauryn_
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jessica-Lauryn/245896705433424
Website/blog:  http://www.jessicalauryn.com
 
Is there an upcoming or current release you would like to share with us today and where can we find it?

My latest release, Dangerous Proposal, is the second edition to The Pinnacles of Power Series.  The story takes place a few years prior to my debut release, Dangerous Ally. In D.P., we learn what happened a few years prior, when Lilah (heroine in Dangerous Ally’s) older sister Lena runs from her psychotic fiancé Lucas Ramone (hero in D.A.). Now a fugitive, Lena attempts to stay hidden in the remote town of North Conway, only to find she is being followed by local doctor and town heartthrob, Alec Westwood.  


Reviews:

“At the age of nineteen Alec Westwood makes the biggest mistake of his life when he agrees to become a cold blooded murder for hire only to change his mind at the last minute and narrowly escapes with his own life intact. He spends years of his life looking over his shoulder, and as soon as he becomes relatively comfortable in his life again, a stunning woman enters it turning it upside down. She not only wears the insignia for the organization that recruited him, she also leaves him spellbound after just one kiss.

Lena Benson is on the run to get away from her obsessed diamond smuggling fiancé, Lucas Ramone but just as she’s about to forge a new life, Alec Westwood enters it charming her. She’s convinced he’s the man her fiancé has hired to track her down, while he’s convinced she’s the one sent there to finish him off. Lena takes matters into her own hands and Alec soon realizes the power she holds over him is far greater than all his strength and fortitude combined, only he’s not the only one bewitched in the end.

Dangerous Proposal is complimentary to the first installment of this series as it gives us a better understanding of Lena’s story, her unhealthy relationship with Lucas, and her happily ever after with Alec. It’s a well written tale of murder, suspense, and a loving happily ever after before it finishes. The sex is smoking hot, the wooing is absolutely romantic enough to make you sigh, and it’s filled with unsuspecting plot twist throughout that will leave you wanting more. I can honestly say that I hope Ms. Lauryn will consider a third installment to ‘The Pinnacles of Power’ series as it would be nice to see Alec’s brother, Colin, get what’s coming to him, as well as see sisters Lilah and Lena reconcile. Go get your copies today!”

~Jennifer Labelle, Labelle Books,
  http://labellebooks.blogspot.ca/2012/06/labelle-books-reviews-dangerous-ally.html?zx=86d2e26a05c98e53
Publisher = Siren BookStrand

Blurb:

For ten agonizing years, Alec Westwood has been keeping a secret from the world. At nineteen, he nearly committed the most horrific of crimes—murder in cold blood—and narrowly escaped the assigned task with his life. When a stunning young woman crosses his path wearing the insignia for the underground organization that recruited him, he vows not to let fate get a second chance. But when the enchantress gives him a kiss that leaves him spellbound, Alec realizes the power she holds is greater than all his strength and fortitude combined…
On the run from her psychotic fiancé, Lena Benson vows to forge a new life, even if that means befriending a witch, and practicing the craft of the devil. But when her new friend Jack tells her to stay away from Alec Westwood, the man she believes her fiancé hired to track her down, and the handsome stranger she kissed in a tavern, Lena vows to take matters into her own hands. Alec may have the charm, but she’s calling the shots this time, even if that means resisting the man responsible for giving her the most intimate kiss of her life, a man who’s eyes and touch rob her, literally, of sense…
Excerpt:

Trista’s sweet laughter filled the air as Lena opened the door. The little girl was pointing her finger up at the doctor. His back was turned in her direction, but he was tall and had wavy, black hair. There was something strangely familiar about him.
Lena had never been to Memorial Hospital before. How would she know anyone who worked there?
“I’m not a little monkey,” Trista said, laughing. She gave the doctor’s white coat a tug.
“Oh yes you are.” He pressed a finger to her little nose.
“No, I’m not.” She laughed, pushing him back. “You’re a monkey head.” Her eyes lit as she turned around. “Miss Lena!”
Fresh tears formed in Lena’s eyes. She raced to the bed, throwing her arms around Trista. Faintly, she heard the doctor’s clipboard hit the floor with a smack.
She must have bumped into him as she ran by. But there was plenty of time to apologize.
“Trista, I’m so glad you’re okay,” she said, holding the little girl tightly against her chest.
“I’m all better now, Miss Lena,” Trista said. “I bumped my head. But it’s okay now.”
Lena did her best to hide her watery eyes. Trista seemed completely unfazed by what had happened. It was as if a different child had cracked her head open on the playground.
“You scared me today,” she said softly. “We’re going to hold the handlebars every time we ride our bikes from now on, aren’t we?” She turned to the doctor. “My God, I don’t know how to thank—”
Lena gripped the bar surrounding the bed. She could hardly believe what she was seeing. Trista’s doctor was the man from Valley Tavern, the man from Julia’s backyard. He was none other than Alec himself!
A doctor—he was a doctor! Wearing a white coat and looking at her with eyes as wide as her own. With a professional ensemble to compliment his handsome exterior, he was the heartthrob of every woman’s fantasy for sure.
Suddenly, he began to look her over more slowly. With his deep blue eyes locked with hers, intensity transformed to pure, wicked deviltry. He wasn’t simply looking at her, as he had those other times. He was challenging her. Daring her to speak first. She swallowed, tightening her hold on the handle of the bed.
“Trista,” a soft voice called from the doorway.
Lena released the breath she’d been holding in. She’d almost forgotten about the little girl sitting beside them. Suddenly there were two other people in the room. A man, with curly blond hair, like his daughter’s. And a woman with a long brunette mane.
Well, it was better late than never. She’d begun to think maybe Trista was an orphan. After a brief reintroduction, she decided to give the family a few minutes alone. She went to the door, assuring herself that she definitely needed some air.
Clutching the doorknob, she jolted as a hand touched down on her back.
“A moment of your time, Miss Gallagher.”
Alec was right behind her, their bodies practically touching. She didn’t dare turn around out of fear that she might fall straight into his arms—exactly where he wanted her. He placed his large, warm hand over hers and turned the doorknob, urging her into the hall. Moving steadily behind hers, his body forced her to either walk forward or risk bumping right up against him.
Moments later, Lena found herself in a dimly lit corridor—a place she was certain no one else in the hospital even knew existed. Though, the darkness didn’t make it any easier to hide her trembling hands. Her heart beat wildly as Alec circled her, caressing her body with his sinful blue eyes. She moved back a step, coming against the wall.
A mischievous smile formed on Alec’s lips. Putting his hand against the tile behind her, he barricaded her exit.
“Lena Gallagher.” He shook his head, making a tsking sound with his tongue. “Imagine that. Allowing an innocent child to fall from a tricycle. What sort of a negligent caregiver does a thing like that?”
Lena’s face burned. “Negligent caregiver? I—”
“It’s certainly a good thing I was there to come to the rescue. But then that’s just the kind of man I am, you see. Lucky for you. Otherwise”—he lowered his voice—“you’d be in an awful lot of trouble right now. Wouldn’t you?”
“Are we through here, Dr. Westwood? I wouldn’t want to take up any more of your precious time.”
“Now, now, Miss Gallagher. That isn’t any way to speak to the man who just saved your little girl. Not to mention job, I’m sure. Correct me if I’m wrong. That makes the score two to zero. Does it not?”
“Is that what this is to you? Some sort of sick game? Trista could have died! No doctor with any true ethics would try to take advantage of something like that. Just how big of a jerk are you?”
He grinned. “Don’t you wish you knew?”
She put her hands against the front of his jacket, shoving him back as hard as she could. “I’m leaving.”
She started forward, but he caught her by the arm. Her eyes came wide open as she turned around. “What do you think you’re doing?”
“Perhaps you ought to think more carefully before making bets you have no chance of winning. I let you walk away from me once. This time, I don’t intend to make it quite so…easy.”
“What do you want from me?” she asked in a whisper.
“You know what I want, Lena. And I know that you want this as much as I do.”
Jessica, I can't thank you enough for being here with us today.  It was a great pleasure getting to learn more about you and I hope you will come back to visit with us soon!!

Readers, you know the drill....sounds like another great book so don't miss out on your chance!!

Until next time, happy reading !!

Krista





No comments:

Post a Comment