Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Author, author...

... read all about it !


Today we have with us the talented
Harley De Luca !!

Welcome Harley, so glad to have you here.  Can you tell us a little about yourself?

I am a 29 year old Erotica author that lives near Kansas City, KS. I have been a cosmetologist for the past 11 years and have recently started on a bowling league. I am a huge sports lover. Baseball is my favorite sport but hockey is a close second. My supernatural love is vampires and sex demons!! Vishious from Ward’s Blackdagger brotherhood and Shade and Wraith from Ione’s Demonica are my secret book crushes!!

What did you want to be when you were growing up or did you always want to be a writer?

Actually as a little kid I always wanted to be a singer, I loved the idea of performing for thousands of people, being the center of attention with singing and dancing. But as I have found out over the years singing in the shower and the car actually gives you a false reality! So I figured I would just entertain my fans with my words!

When did you first start writing?

I first started writing a couple of years ago. I had started a book group on Shelfari, it was just a small group of us that were pretty tight. We talked about everything and even started to do a little bit of role play. Then in a different book group I had belonged to started a sweet little idea of writing their own stories with certain guidelines that were set. That was when it actually occurred to me that I could actually write for others and feel pretty fulfilled by the results. So naturally as my story developed in the group so did my expectations for myself and my ideas for other stories.

What is a typical writing day like for you? 

Typically I would start off the day with a couple cups of coffee and go through all my emails. After emails are done and websites were checked I pick up whatever book I’m reading and read a few chapters just to get my brain waves on the right track. Then it’s all about the right kind of music set, the candles lit and the WIP (work in progress) pulled up in the screen and off I go with the story. Once I am in this zone it is very hard for me to stop. I could be writing for ten hours or more a day, but that is all in the life of a writer.

Do you have an specific routine you follow or specific items you need with you when you write?

Coffee, music, candles, pictures and no interruptions. Not in that particular order but those are definitely a must when I am writing. Also a book, either one from your favorite author or one you are reading now. Just to help dig you out of any writing hole you may get stuck in.

What is your favorite part of writing?  Is there anything you don’t like about being a writer?

I have a few different favorites of writing. I love being able to share my thoughts and ideas of who my characters are with my readers. Just knowing that I am helping someone get out of their own reality is an amazing feeling for me as so many of my favorite authors have done for me with their stories. Another favorite is just being able to write for the release of everything that is going on in my world on a daily basis. Writing is a great stress reliever. And also getting the news that your story was picked up by the publisher and you are soon going to be sharing your “world” with the world is the best feeling of being a writer. The only thing I hate about writing is writers block. That is the worst, especially when you have a deadline.

What is your favorite length of book to write?  (Short story, novella, full length novel) Why?

I really don’t have a favorite length of book to write. Just as long as I feel like the story was told in the best way possible for my readers to love it and understand it then the length really has no meaning to me.

How does your family feel about your writing and you being an author?

At first they were not as supportive because of the lack of stability. But as they have read some of my work and actually can see that it has helped me express myself in a healthy manner they are more than supportive. Usually when I tell people I am a writer they look at me two different ways. They are really supportive and think it’s the best thing in the world to know someone who is a published author or they look at me like I’m a “starving artist”, especially when I tell them that I am an erotica author. That is usually when those people back away and just let me be. See for me I am a very out spoken and lack a filter from my brain to my mouth. If someone doesn’t like me for what I write then that is not a concern for me to be worried about. That is their choice and I am not the type of person who is bothered by their reactions. It’s what makes me happy and makes me feel good about myself and lets me know that I can accomplish anything I put my mind to, whether or not if I have supporters or not. You can’t please everyone!!

Is there a to-be-read waiting on your bedside table?

OMG! My to-be-read pile is two, eight foot bookshelves (full and in some spots doubled up) and my loaded kindle. It is ridiculous actually! I can read a book in about a day or day and a half if I am not interrupted. One day I figured it up that if I read a book a day I would be in my early 70’s to read all of the ones I have right now. Not including any new releases from my fellow authors. That’s of course a estimated age based off of not working 5 days a week, plus writing and my bowling league.

For fun, I have a few personal questions, 

Favorite 5
1)  Favorite Holiday- Halloween! Best time of year to be someone else for a day.

2) Favorite Drink- Grey Goose and Cranberry juice. Thanks to JR Ward and Vishious for getting me hooked on Grey Goose!!

3) Favorite Author- JR Ward. Gotta love those brothers!

4) Favorite Book- It’s actually a tossup between Lover Eternal and Lover Unbound. I have read this series 8 times within the past 3 years and every time I read it I find something new to love about these guys.

5) Favorite Animal- Black Panther. A very agile and sleek animal. Calm and leisurely until the time to strike arises. 

And for a bonus:  What is a typical mood for you?  And is your mood different when you’re writing?

LMAO!! Typically my mood is light but I am half Italian, ¼ Norwegian and a ¼ German so I do have a short fuse and a huge temper. But even with those genetics my temper hardly ever comes out to play. When I’m writing my attitude totally changes. Personally I feel like it has to change in order to be able to write out certain scenes. 



Where can our readers find you?? 
Email: Harley_deluca@yahoo.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Harley_DeLuca
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/harley.deluca
Website/blog: http://harleydeluca.weebly.com/


 
Is there an upcoming or current release you would like to share with us today and where can we find it? 
Mistress of Passion
 
In the realm of all things sexual, Rachel used her sexuality as a form of escape. She desperately tried to avoid her past to manipulate her future by delving into the dark recesses of all things kinky. With a fearful past, she turned her hurt, rage, confusion and unexplained passion into nothing but pure pleasure. Being a Mistress came naturally for Rachel, she was good at being a Dom. Only one challenge stood in her way, would she able to accept her life the way it was now or was she secretly yearning for something more?
Dominic was your all around “grade-A” male. Had the job, the money, the title, but didn’t have the will to live, not until he walked into London Leather. Like most of the rich and famous he needed the escape of normality, needed to be reminded of who he was when he was stripped of everything. He had been stripped before but not like this. Would he be able to withstand all he was about to receive or would he have to resort back to his old ways and just pray for death?


Mistress of Passion released August 4th, 2012. Its released only on Amazon as it is a short story. E-book only but if you don’t own a kindle you can download a free one to your computer from Amazon itself.
 http://www.amazon.com/Mistress-of-Passion-ebook/dp/B008SBP5DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344867396&sr=8-1&keywords=mistress+of+passion




**One last thing before we let you leave us today :) Do you have a favorite recipe you'd like to share?  I like to cook and am always looking for new recipes to try and share but it's totally up to you.

 
Penne alla Vodka (Gluten-Free)

 Makes 4 servings

 You really want to use good ingredients here. Make sure the marinara sauce is from a brand you trust, or you can make your own. The vodka, on the other hand, can be anything you have lying around from your last party.

Ingredients

 2 tablespoons olive oil

 ½ teaspoon red chili flakes

 1 quart marinara sauce

 1/2 cup vodka

 1/2 cup cream

 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)

 8 basil leaves, julienned (optional)

 1 pound penne pasta (brown rice if you’re GF)



In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a medium flame. Add the chili flakes and cook until just sizzling, about 2 minutes. Carefully pour in the tomatoes and the vodka. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium low. Cook, stirring consistently, for 10 – 15 minutes, until reduced. Stir in the cream, Parmesan, and half the basil (if using), and cook until the cheese has melted and the whole sauce is luscious and pink.



In the meantime, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta in a colander, or transfer to the sauce using a slotted spoon. Toss with the sauce until combined. Cook for another minute. Then garnish with the remaining basil, and few shreds of Parmesan, and serve alongside the extra block of cheese for grating.

NOTE: the sauce can be made in advance. If it is too thick, add 1/4 cup of pasta water to thin it slightly when you toss it with the pasta.

 

Harley, it was an absolutel pleasure learning more about you today and what a yummy recipe! 

I seriously cannot wait to get your new release Mistress of Passion.  Please keep us up to date on what your next release!!

Readers thanks for stopping by and make sure you search out this new short story, you'll love it!
http://www.amazon.com/Mistress-of-Passion-ebook/dp/B008SBP5DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344867396&sr=8-1&keywords=mistress+of+passion


Until next time, happy reading !!

Krista 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for allowing me the time to do this interview Krista!! <3 Harley!!

    ReplyDelete