Thursday, August 23, 2012

Author, author...


...read all about it!

Today we have
 the fantastic
Jessica E. Subject
with us!   


Hi Jessica, great to have you here.  Can you tell us a little about yourself?

Thank you so much for having me here today, Krista! I’m a wife, mother, reader, and writer. I live in a small city in Ontario, Canada, and as much as I hate driving in the snow, I prefer it to the hot and sticky summers. I write romance, and some of my heroes and heroines could be aliens, clones, or beings from another dimension.

What did you want to be when you were growing up or did you always want to be a writer?

Oh my gosh, I wanted to be so many things growing up. At one point, I really wanted to be a teacher, but ended up going to university for Business Administration.

When did you first start writing?

It wasn’t until I was on maternity leave with my second child that I turned something I did for fun into a career. I’d dabbled here and there, writing more articles than fiction. But at that time, my daughter was in kindergarten and hated reading. I wanted to make it fun for her, and wrote her a book. It wasn’t the first thing I wrote though, as that story quickly turned into one more geared for adults.

What is a typical writing day like for you? 

Right now, with the kids off school, I fit in as much writing time as possible, which isn’t much. Things will change in September though when my youngest is off to school, and I have more writing time during the day. I’m not a night-time writer, as I’m a morning person.

Do you have any specific routine you follow or specific items you need with you when you write?

No. I don’t have time for all that. Whenever I can squeeze in a moment, I do. I don’t write my first draft on the computer though. I write in a notebook, as it’s less fragile than my laptop. When I get a chance—usually at night when my brain is tired, and transferring text is about all I can do—the story goes into the computer.

What is your favorite part of writing?  Is there anything you don’t like about being a writer?

I love creating new characters and new worlds. Revisiting old ones is fun, too. My characters like it when I finally listen to everything they’ve been whispering in my head. LOL

What is your favorite length of book to write?  (Short story, novella, full length novel) Why?

Oh my gosh, I write them all. I guess my favorite would be the novella. With short stories, I find I can’t put in all of the information I want about the characters, as there simply is not enough space. And with the novels, I get discouraged, as they take much longer to write. With the novella, I can give the information I want, and the characters reach their happily-ever-after much faster. Though I still include a lot of conflict. It’s got to be there.

How does your family feel about your writing and you being an author?

My husband is very supportive of me. I couldn’t ask for better. He even tells the people he works with about my books, and puts magnets of my covers on his tool box.

Is there a to-be-read waiting on your bedside table?

If I include all of my e-books and print books, there are over 300. Yikes! Yes, I’m a book whore. The Amazon charges on my credit card bill prove it. There are some books from my critique partners that I plan on reading right away though. They’re stories that I read before they were contracted, and I want to read them again after they’ve been through edits.



Just for fun, I have a few personal questions, 

Favorite 5

1)  Favorite Holiday – Canada Day

2) Favorite Drink – Ice Tea

3) Favorite Author – I have to pick one? Nora Roberts w/a J.D. Robb

4) Favorite Book – Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

5) Favorite Animal - Tiger

And for a bonus:  What is a typical mood for you?  And is your mood different when you’re writing?

I try and stay pretty happy, but that’s not always the case. My mood is not different when I write, but it does affect the type of scenes I write.

Where can our readers find you??  (all that apply and more)

Email: jessicasubject.writer at gmail dot com








Is there an upcoming or current release you would like to share with us today and where can we find it?

My paranormal erotica short story released in July from Decadent Publishing as part of their The Edge erotica line.

Here’s the blurb:

Cursed to live amongst several stone gargoyle statues, Oscar watches a young couple, yearning to participate in their sexual activities.  For he has been away from his own lovers for over a year, and longs to touch and be touched again. 

When he tumbles off the headboard onto the couple, he is released from the statue but must find a way home.  His only thought:  a menage with the man and woman who freed him.  But will they try something new to grant him his return passage, or leave him wandering Earth alone?

The Power of Three is available from Decadent Publishing, Amazon, All Romance Ebooks & more!

For more information and buy links, please visit:
http://www.markofthestars.com/wp/?page_id=10029




Jessica we're so glad you could visit today.  Please come back soon!

Readers, The Power of Three should definitely be your next purchase !!!

Until next time, happy reading!

Krista







 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me on your blog today, Krista! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. High-five for notebook writers! And tigers are my favorite creature too! Nice interview ladies. I love learning more about my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *High fives* Heather, I'd be lost without my notebooks. Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. I love sci fi romances. Jessica, you have the most extraordinarly STRANGE and unexpected plots. I'm so impressed.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful interview, Jessica. I too, am a shameless book slut. Lol.

    ReplyDelete