Monday, December 17, 2012

Author, author...

...read all about it !!

Today we have the wonderful
 
Lily Carlyle
 
with us !!!
 
 
Welcome Lily, so great to have you here with us…I have a few Christmas questions for you…
What is your favorite childhood Christmas memory ?
My parents never allowed us to put up the Christmas tree until just a few days before Christmas, despite endless nagging from me and my sisters. However, we were allowed to begin listening to Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving, and I swear we got out the Christmas albums first thing Friday morning! The first song on our favorite album was “Home for the Holidays,” sung by Perry Como. To this day, hearing the beginning of that song brings back that magical childhood feeling of anticipation.
Do you like to decorate your house?  Anything special that you do for your decorating?
I like having my house decorated! I can’t say I actually enjoy doing it. I love the variety of ornaments we have—ones I made as a child, ones my children made, old family heirlooms, gifts from friends, cheap ones I buy at Target in January,  etc. They’re all precious to me.
Do you have any special tradition that your family celebrates for the Christmas Holiday?
We have what some might see as an odd breakfast tradition. Kielbasa and eggs, to honor my father, who perfected the unusual dish, and Grandma’s Coffee Cake, a recipe from my mom’s side of the family. (recipe available in Making Magic). Although the coffee cake recipe is by no means difficult, it does have one rather tricky step which inevitably leads to blasphemy on Christmas Eve. My own special and inappropriate holiday tradition.
Are you the holiday cook or do you let someone else do the cooking?
 I do the cooking, which is a mixed blessing for my family!
Do you like to be where there is snow for the holidays or are you a snowbird that likes to fly south for the winter?
Well, I’m a Pittsburgh native who has lived in Atlanta for fifteen years, so although I’ve flown south but I’d prefer to be in the snowy north with my family.
As a reader, do you like to read Christmas stories?
Of course.
As a writer, do you like to write Christmas stories?
 Yes. My two favorite stories that I’ve written were Christmas stories. “Santa Bebe,” published in For the Love of Christmas by Still Moments Publishing this year and “Big Tom” published in True Romance magazine a few years back.
Do you give the gift of reading for Christmas ?
My goodness, yes. We’re a reading family.
 
For fun, I have a few personal questions, 
Your Favorite 5
1) Favorite Christmas song – “The Best Gift,” sung by Barbra Streisand. I remember listening to it as a child and not really liking it. Then I had my own little Christmas baby almost 8 years ago and I’ve loved the song ever since.
2) Favorite Christmas movie- Holiday Inn. I love old movies! And Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, although I suppose it’s technically not a movie.
3) Favorite Christmas story - “The Gift of the Magi” by O. Henry and “A Christmas Memory” by Truman Capote.
4) Favorite Christmas color- Red.
5) Favorite Christmas food – Cookies!
 
And for a bonus, if you were given the gift of travel to anywhere for the holidays, where would you want to go???
Vienna. Or the Alps. Maybe Moscow. Or Budapest. I’m pretty easy!
 
 
Where can our readers find you?? 
Email: lilycarlyle@hotmail.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/LilyCarlyle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/writerlilycarlyle
 
 
Is there an upcoming or current release you would like to share with us today and where can we find it?
 
“Santa Bebe”
 in
For the Love of Christmas
 
 
 
 
 Ok, before we let you leave us today, do you have a favorite holiday recipe you'd like to share?   I loke to cook and am always looking for new recipes to try and share.
Well, here’s Grandma’s Coffee Cake recipe, which is also available in Still Moments Publishing’s Making Magic.
However, I strongly discourage you from cursing while making it. I know my grandma would be disappointed in me for doing so, more so if she knew I encouraged others!
Grandma’s Coffee Cake
 
Batter
 
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
1 ½ cups sifted flour
¼ pound butter, softened
½  - ¾ cup milk
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp salt
Streusel mixture
1 cup light brown sugar
1/8 pound butter
4 tbsp. flour
¾ cup chopped walnuts (opt.)
4 tsp. cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375. Grease & flour 9” square pan. Mix ingredients for batter. Spread half of batter in pan, sprinkle half of streusel mixture. Spread remaining batter (you may find it helpful to add a bit more milk to make it more spreadable). Sprinkle remaining streusel mixture.
 
Bake 25-35 minutes.
 
 Oh goodness Lily, that sounds awesome!  I can't wait to try that :)  No promises on the cursing tho lol.
 
Thanks so much for being with us today and congratulations on
your new release "Santa Bebe" in the For The Love of Christmas
 Anthology!
 
For my readers, don't miss this great collection of Christmas stories !!
 
Until next time, happy reading !
 
Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment