Monday, December 9, 2013

Author, author... Incarnation by Susan Nolan

...read all about it !!!




Welcome, so great to have you here with us.  Can you tell us a little about yourself?

I moved to Canada from England at the age of five and love to visit back when I have a chance.  Travelling is something I do whenever I can and I have enjoyed visits to various locations on four continents. I have had a career in public education and spent a number of years as a school librarian where I developed my love for young adult fiction.  My family is the most important thing to me.

 

 

Do real life events find their way into your stories?

My settings are sometimes drawn from places I have seen or been but I have to confess that I am guilty of completely fabricating my characters. 

 

 

Do you ever mimic family members or people you know when you choose characters?

No, although the animals do exist! “Daisy”, from my recent novel Incarnation, is a dog that was owned by a friend of mine, and even though I changed the breed, her lively spirit is the same. “Diesel”, another dog I love, is featured in the current apocalyptic fantasy I am working on.

 

 

Do you find yourself going back to the same inspiration for each story or is it always something different?

Something different in the way of events and characters but the elements of fantasy are usually there.

 

 

When do you write?  Early morning? During the day sometime or all day?  After the kids go to bed?

I love to write after I have been out walking.  I find a lot of inspiration in just getting in touch with the universe!

 

 

How do you feel about marketing your book?

I am a fairly private person… I love to share stories but letting people in to my real life is not so comfortable.

 

 

What social sites do you feel work best for marketing?

Sorry… I am a bit clueless here. I am a regular FB user and do plan on setting up a Twitter account and perhaps a blog.

 

 

Do you like to pitch stories to your publisher or do you wait until you have written the story and have a final manuscript to turn in?

As a first time author, I submitted a full manuscript.  I hope to develop a relationship with a publisher where ideas could be discussed beforehand.

 

 

Is there any other genre that you would love to try writing?  If so, what is it?

Oh yes!  I love mysteries… especially ones with a lot of psychological drama.

 

 

Do you always/ever see yourself as the heroine/hero when you write a story?

I don’t think that my main characters are really me… but I do love getting to know them as they evolve.

 

 

Just for fun, I have a few personal questions,  

Favorite 5

1)        Favorite Male Actor  - Daniel Day-Louis

2)        Favorite vehicle - Jeep

3)        Favorite way to relax - Read

4)        Favorite ice cream – Black Cherry

5)        Favorite outfit -  Sweats or Jeans

And for a bonus:  If you could pick any place in the world to live, besides where you are now, where would it be?  (Of course, without the hindrance of jobs or money needed)

I was born in England and would move back there in a heartbeat if I didn’t have so many personal connections in Canada.

 

Where can our readers find you?? 

Email: sue_thomas@bell.net

  

Is there an upcoming or current release you would like to share with us today and where can we find it?

My first novel, Incarnation, is published by Evernight Teen and can be found on their website as well as at Amazon.com and Createspace.  I publish under my maiden name, Susan Nolan.




Blurb:
Katherine Blair has no idea she possesses supernatural abilities. Not until Richard St. James, an intriguing and mysterious classmate with powerful skills of his own, initiates her into his world.  Wanting to explore her newfound shape-shifting powers, she spends time getting to know Richard, only to find herself increasingly drawn to him as time goes by.
Haunted by dreams of ancient times, she is caught in a desperate struggle against past injustice. The link to this unknown past experience sends her own life plummeting into the dark realms of revenge and murder, as she attempts to reconcile her feelings for the young man she’s come to rely on to protect her and keep their shared secret.
Will Katherine and Richard be able to break the spell that has held her captive through the years, before it consumes her? Can their budding young love survive tragedy, or will they be torn apart?
Book links:      Amazon     Goodreads



One last thing before we let you leave us today.   Do you have a favorite recipe you'd like to share?  I like to cook and am always looking for new recipes to try and share.

Crab CAkes

 Ingredients:

 

1 egg

3 tablespoons mayonnaise

4 teaspoons lemon juice

1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon dried tarragon

1 tablespoon minced green onions

8 ounces crabmeat (2 cans of 120 grams)

1/2 cup crushed buttery round crackers

1 tablespoon butter

Directions:

1.     In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, mayonnaise, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, tarragon, and scallions. Gently stir in crabmeat, being careful not to break up meat. Gradually mix in cracker crumbs, adding until desired consistency is achieved.

2.     Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat. Form crab mixture into 4 patties. Place patties in skillet, and cook until golden brown, about 5 to 6 minutes on each side.

 
*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Susan, thanks so much for spending time with us today, it was an extreme pleasure and my teen is beyond excited to read this one !!!  We're also thrilled for the Crab Cakes recipe....sounds like a good New Years Eve treat :)

To all you YA readers out there, get this one today !!!  You won't be sorry.    Here are the links again just for convenience :)  

Book links:      Amazon     Goodreads



Until next time, happy reading !!

Krista




No comments:

Post a Comment